- Touring Repertoire
- In Development
- In the past
- Support Us
- Venue Hire
- Contact Us
Polyglot Theatre is Australia’s leading creator of experiential, interactive and installation theatre for children and families, encouraging kids to turn the simplest things into extraordinary creations.
Inspired by the artwork, play and ideas of children, we create imagined worlds where audiences actively participate in performance through touch, play and encounter.
For over 30 years, Polyglot has ignited children’s imaginations from tiny Australian country towns to the world’s leading arts centres.
View our 2011 Annual Report:
RECENT TOUR HIGHLIGHTS AND CREATIVE PROJECTS
- Royal National Theatre as part of London’s International Festival of Theatre, UK (We Built This City)
- Macrobert Centre, Scotland, UK, Lakes Alive Festival Cubria, UK Draiocht Theatre, Ireland (We Built This City)
- Hong Kong International Arts Carnival, China (Check Out!)
- National Theatre of Korea (Tooth and Claw and Check Out!)
- World Expo, Shanghai, China (Wild Things)
- International Performing Arts for Youth Showcase, Pittsburgh, USA (We Built This City)
- Our Place creative residency program in Healesville, Victoria, Australia
- City of Riddles premiere Victorian regional and metropolitan schools tour, Australia
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington DC, USA (We Built This City)
- Shanghai International Children’s Theatre Festival, China (Check Out!) - winner of Excellent Production Award
- Singapore Arts Festival (The Big Game)
- Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Australia (Check Out!)
- Worlds Within creative residency program at Furlong Park School for Deaf Children, Victoria, Australia
- Wish Street creative residency program at Healesville and Badger Creek Primary Schools, Victoria, Australia
- Sydney Opera House, Australia (We Built This City)
- Melbourne International Arts Festival, Australia (The Big Game)
- UNIMA World Puppetry Congress, Perth, Australia (Headhunter)
- ASSITEJ International Performing Arts Festival for Young People, Adelaide, Australia (Headhunter)
- The Impossible Zoo creative residency program at Coburn Primary School, Victoria, Australia
SOME RECENT ACHIEVEMENTS IN NUMBERS
- In 2010, Polyglot performed 157 performances of seven works, created two new works, facilitated one community engagement project, undertook three creative developments and led 133 workshops, reaching a total of 105,872 people in seven countries.
- We Built This City has inspired over 40 000 children playing with over 150 000 cardboard boxes over the last 10 years.
- Check Out! has played to over 18 000 children since 2007 and won the Excellent Production award at the 2009 Shanghai International Children’s Theatre Festival.
- The Big Game won a 2008 Children’s Choice Award at the Melbourne International Arts Festival.
- Headhunter (a collaboration with Ilbijerri Theatre) has been seen by 18,000 people in four states since 2005, has been presented at two world festivals, UNIMA (puppetry) and ASSITEJ (theatre for young people) in 2008, and won Drama Victoria’s Award for Best Performance for Primary School Students 2005.
- Polyglot’s ground breaking community workshops and residency programs have been presented as best practice industry case studies.
- Muckheap has played to over 85,000 children, touring continuously for over ten years, and in 2011, it will be performed in three different languages.
> Watch a video and read Polyglot's Artistic Rationale
> Download our 2010 Annual Report